1–2 nectarines, thinly sliced
Skewers, to assemble
- Cut the watermelon into three slices. Make one a little bit larger and wider than the other two.
- Cut off the peel with a knife.
- Place the largest, widest slice on a cake platter to form the base.
- Arrange nectarines on top of the watermelon slice.
- Place 3–4 skewers upright into the watermelon base.
- Thread 2–3 blueberries onto each skewer. This will hold up the next layer.
- Carefully push the next watermelon layer through the skewers.
- Again arrange the nectarines on top of the watermelon and spear 2-3 blueberries onto each skewer.
- Push the top watermelon layer through the skewers.
- Top with nectarine slices or blueberries.
- Push blueberries onto the skewers to decorate.
from Epicurious, serves 4
- 2 large heads of garlic
- 4 tb olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut top 1/4 inch off heads of garlic to expose cloves. Place garlic in small baking dish. Add oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Turn garlic cut side up.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake until garlic skins are golden brown and cloves are tender, about 55 minutes. Cool. Squeeze garlic cloves from skins.
- Smear on toasted French bread, blend into hummus, whip into mashed potatoes.
16 ounces Florida arugula, rinsed and drained
1 dozen Florida strawberries, rinsed and sliced
1 cup Florida blueberries
2 Florida oranges, peeled and segmented
8 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
1 lemon, juiced
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
2 cups Florida pecans
¾ cup natural Florida sugar
2 tablespoons butter
½ teaspoon sea salt
Preheat a pan on medium heat. Add the pecans and toast until fragrant, 6 to 8 minutes. Add butter, sugar, and salt; stir to coat. Remove from pan and allow to cool. In a medium-sized mixing bowl add arugula, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper; toss to combine. Plate the dressed arugula and evenly add the citrus and berries around the greens. Add the goat cheese and garnish each salad with candied pecans, serve chilled.